Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bags Packed under Smokey Skies



I woke up this morning to see my dad off to his daily grind and the skies were actually blue. But by the time I made it to the Boot Barn, the skies were gray again. Perhaps flying out of Sacramento and living in Ethiopia will save my health this summer?

Today, both Angie and I were feeling better, and some significant preparations were had. I bought the Wolverine boots (and they were $20 off), some cushy wool socks, a small collapsible duffel, and a secret money pocket. My passport was returned with my entry visa. I was given my travel receipt from MTS. I was content to receive the nod of approval for the packing I did with my carry on. The team packed up our photocopied story booklets, pocket dictionaries, and other school supplies at our final meeting. I think all four of us are shocked that we are heading out this Saturday. It really hit me when Carol hugged me and said, "Have a good time." Yes, this Saturday!!!!

Part of this disbelief comes from the team's absence from prayer this Sunday. Four of the team members had travel plans with friends or family, and I was, of course, sick. In fact we have been a very quiet team and we haven't quite gelled; give us some time in a different environment and I know that will change.

So come this Saturday at 3:30 am, I will be heading out to SFO with two bags - one filled with school supplies and the other filled with a minimal amount of clothing, toiletries, etc. I will leave behind my smoke-filled city, my family, my church, and my friends.

I will enter another world; can't wait to tell you about it.

No comments: